2013 is turning out to be very interesting and the fun keeps rolling in. The hubs and I were both named some of New Yorks 40 under 40 Latino Rising Stars! To say I am humbled really doesn’t do justice to what I’m feeling. To make the deal a little sweeter, I have been nominated as the “Rising Star of the Year” along with two other truly inspirational and lovely Gentlemen.
When we found out that the hubs had won, we were super excited, so much so that I cried a little. He’s an incredible person and I thought it was really sweet that he was finally being noticed for all the work that he does. Then, we found out I was nominated as well and we were both giddy and twitterpated at the same time! When I got the call for the “Rising Star” award, my first thought was “Damn! What if I’m competing against the hubs?!?! We’re going to have to separate!?” HA!
We’re both really competitive, so we’d probably kill each other, and my heart would be sad. Thankfully and also unfortunately, he was not named one of the Rising Stars, so my heart was at ease, but I still thought he deserved it.
It’s a weird feeling to be nominated for this type of award because it’s a competition and I have to promote myself. Contrary to what you might think, I don’t like doing that. I don’t like promoting “myself’ but rather the organization(s) that I work for and the community work that we do for the community. It’s just weird, but I’m still excited. I more excited to bring more recognition to LatinoJustice and the ridiculously awesome attorneys and projects that we have going on.
Now- because I’d like to win this competition, I need your help. Yes, this is the part where I beg you to vote for me. You don’t have to, and I will not be mad, I promise. Hell, you can lie and say you did and I’ll still feel be eternally grateful to you.
Here’s what I need you to do before March 21st at 12am.
- Visit the website & vote.
- Facebook: Visit https://www.facebook.com/HispCoalitionNY & “Like” the organization, “Like” the picture/post of me or post a message on their timeline stating “I support Jazmin Chavez as the 2013 NY Latino Rising Star.”
- TEXT #2013LatinoStarNY Jazmin to 518-469-9161
- TWEET “. @HispCoalitionNY #2013LatinoStarNY @JazminChavez”
- CALL 518-469-9161 & Leave a message with My Name- “I support Jazmin Chavez as the 2013 NY Latino Rising Star.”
- Share this “Action Plan” with your friends & family.